ANNUAL REVIEW OF ACADEMIC STAFF FOR 2013
Also Research Staff on Grades 6 and 7
Procedures for Heads of School / Institute Directors
|Discussion of application with member(s) of staff||January 2013|
|Applicant submits by email one electronic copy of the Application for Promotion document to their Head of School / Institute Director by||1 February 2013|
|HoS / DoI to complete the HoS / DoI statement and email one electronic copy of the Application for Promotion document to Kelly Rosa in the HR Department by||22 February 2013|
|Submissions discussed at Preliminary Faculty meetings / SMD Academic Status and Promotions Committee||w/c 11 March 2013|
|Reports obtained from External Experts for conferment of title by||31 May 2013|
|Academic Staff Review Group||w/c 1 July|
|Decisions and new salaries communicated||August 2013|
The procedure to be followed in assessing applications is given in the Academic Staff Career Progress document. In the event of any disagreement over interpretation of the procedures, the wording in this document will be followed.
Heads / Directors should also read the College's Framework for the Assessment of Academic Contribution which outlines the criteria for promotion.
Below is a step-by-step summary of the procedure to be followed by Heads of School / Institute Directors
1. Discuss the application with the applicant, offering guidance as appropriate. Make sure that the applicant is aware of the deadline of 1 February 2013 for submission of the Application for Promotion document.
2. Applicants are asked to submit their application only to their Head of School / Institute Director. You are responsible for the first stages of the process and for transmitting all documentation to the QMUL.
3. Applicants are asked to submit only one electronic copy of their application to you by the deadline
- Academic staff should complete the Application for Promotion document
- Research Staff should complete the Application for Promotion (Research Staff)
Staff must complete both their candidate statement and their CV in the format stated in the guidance notes in the Application for Promotion document. Any applications received that are not in the correct format should be returned to the individual for amendment.
4. Complete the HoS / DoI statement which can be found after the CV section of the Application for Promotion document.
In the case of applications for promotion to Professor or Reader, Heads / Directors must provide the names and contact details of at least 6 national/international experts (external to QMUL, at least 2 of whom should be from another College of the University of London and two of whom should be from an overseas institution) by completing the External Expert List. On no occasion should an applicant be asked to suggest, provide or be asked to comment upon the names of experts in their field. This list of names should be agreed by the Head of School / Institute Director and the relevant Faculty VP, as being appropriate to the field of expertise of the applicant.
5. Applications for all promotions should be emailed to Kelly Rosa [HR Services Manager] by 22 February 2013. The Preliminary Faculty meetings / SMD Academic Status and Promotions Committee will then take place. The Academic Staff Review Group is scheduled to meet w/c 1 July 2013.
6. For all applications please send one electronic copy of the following documents to Kelly Rosa:
- the Application for Promotion document (which will include the applicant's statement, CV and the HoS / DoI statement);
- External Experts List
Any applications received by the HR Department that are not in the correct format will be returned to the relevant School / Institute
7. Experts: Applications for promotion to Reader, Professor or Research Grades 6 and 7, which progress past the Faculty meeting / SMD Academic Status and Promotions Committee, will be assessed by a minimum of three Experts.
It is expected that all experts listed will be of international distinction. The final decisions on the choice of experts to be contacted (including one from the University of London and one of whom is from another overseas institution) will be made by the Faculty VP. Heads of School / Institute Directors will not be informed of which final experts are approached.
Further detailed information on the identification of external experts can be found in the Heads of School / Institute Directors Guidelines on Identifying External Experts
On no occasion should an applicant be asked to suggest, provide, or be asked to comment upon the names of experts in their field.
8. Announcement of outcome: The results of the Academic Annual Review for 2013 will be announced in August 2013. Each applicant will receive a letter advising them of either the outcome of their application, or the reasons why a result is still outstanding. All letters will be copied to the HoS / DoI. Every effort will be made to achieve a speedy outcome, but maintaining the quality of the academic annual review is more important.
Queries or requests for clarification:
Queries about procedure or progress of applications should be addressed to the Coordinator of the Academic Annual Review for 2013, Kelly Rosa [HR Services Manager] e-mail: email@example.com