College policy is to employ people on appropriate contracts. This will be permanent unless a fixed-term, temporary or an as-and-when contract can be objectively justified.
The approval process for creating a permanent post is described, in full, on the HR Recruitment page.
You will need to:
- make a robust business case (especially for new posts)
- get approval at senior level:
– from the relevant Vice-Principal (for academic departments in the College); or
– from the Chief Administrative Officer (in Central Services departments); or
– (for NHS and Hefce posts in the SMD) from the Institute Director, the Chief Operating Officer and the Institute/ General Manager; or
– (for other posts in the SMD) from the Centre Lead/Grant Holder, the Chief Operating Officer and the Institute/ General Manager.
- get approval from the Finance Department
- recruit in accordance with the College’s HR Code of Practice on Recruitment which means (among other things):
– writing or reviewing the job profile and person specification;
– getting a job-evaluated grade for the job;
– open advertising (with the approval of the HR Department);
– convening an appropriate selection panel;
– appointing on merit and keeping records that show that you have done so;
– completing and submitting “equalities” monitoring information to the HR Department.
Only the HR Department is authorised to issue permanent contracts on behalf of the College.